10 Tips to a “Meltdown” Free Shopping Trip with your Toddler

Before I had children even when it was just Ayanna and I, I hate to admit I’d judge those moms. You know the ones struggling in the store with the screaming toddler.

I’d think “ Gosh, can’t they get control over there”. The toddler throws himself on the floor for dramatic effect. The mom is sweating and clearly flustered, frustrated and often nearly in tears. All this and I judged. At least until I lived a little more had a couple more kids.

I’ve experienced my share of meltdowns. I’m like a Luvs commercial now...I’ve got it pretty down packed now.  So how do you avoid the shopping meltdowns? Don’t take your kids.... just kidding. We all know that’s not always possible but if it is that is my first suggestion. You deserve time alone even if it’s a mindless walk around Target 15 odd times


  1. Go ALONE! (You thought I wasn’t serious?) really if you can please feel no guilt running your errands alone. 
  2. Make sure your kids have eaten. Hungry kids are not very nice kids. They are far from cooperative and not patient. Make sure tummies are full. Sometimes we sit in the car and eat  Happy Meals then we go into Target. He’s full and unlikely to ask for anything 
  3. Do not go durning their usual nap time. Sleepy toddlers are worse than hungry ones. Morning after breakfast or directly after lunch works. 
  4. Now this one may seem like a contradiction to 3 but I’ll explain the difference. If they fall asleep in the car. That is the perfect time to go in IF you think they’ll stay asleep or go back to sleep in the cart. I always have something soft for Baby J to lay on. I put him in the cart with a mini pallet or the front with a little cushion to lay on the push bar and he goes back to sleep. The difference from #3 is being “sleepy” or “tired”and being “asleep”.
  5. Gauge your toddlers day. What do I mean? If he or she didn’t wake up on the wrong side of the bed but another planet. Today is not the day to drag them in every store imaginable if it’s not necessary. 
  6. Allow your toddler to actively participate in the experience. Most grocery stores have child carts. Yes they’re a nuisance but the kids love them. Put a few light items for them to push in their cart. Let them load them on the belt and help with the transaction. Don’t worry about the people behind you. They can wait. 
  7. Talk to them about what the day will look like. Whether you think they understand or not it’s still a very good practice to speak to your child in non-baby talk. It helps with language development. I tell Baby J, “Mommy has to go to the store” if I’m getting something he likes like cereal or goldfish I tell him. This usually gets him excited. 
  8. If all else fails bring the technology. Download a movie or their favorite show. Some stores have horrible reception and you may have terrible service. 
  9. Try to make the trip fun but don’t set yourself up. Example don’t visit the toy section if you
    know your kid will demand something and throw a fit when you say no. 
  10. Send you husband lol 


Every child is different and these are just a few things that have worked for me.

If a meltdown occurs because they happen to the best of us; Relax don’t worry about those judgmental folks and most of them aren’t really judging you you’d be surprised.  Mom people sympathize with you thanking their luck stars they left their tots at home or thinking of their now older kids and how the do not miss those battles.

Cheers to the hot mess moms trying to make it through a market list fit free,
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment